Children often struggle to focus on tasks that are boring, difficult, or too long for their age. However, attention span is a skill that can be improved with practice and guidance.
Here are some tips on how to help your child develop a longer and stronger attention span:
- Break down their tasks from the complex into smaller and simpler steps.
- Use rewards to motivate your child to complete tasks. If they succeed, you can reward them with a sticker, a snack, or some playtime.
- Limit distractions and interruptions in your child’s environment such as limiting screen time or turning off the TV.
- Encourage your child to engage in activities that require attention and concentration such as playing play board games, memory games, or chess.
- Praise your child for their efforts and achievements to help boost their confidence and self-esteem.
At Ellwood Daycare and Out of School Care, our child development center in Edmonton, Canada employs activities and strategies that can effectively improve your child’s attention span.
Our daycare in Canada provides quality child care that is focused on key factors including safety, well-being, inclusion, and child development.
We have quality and affordable programs that are child-centered and partnered with parent involvement to ensure consistency of learning, even at home.
We age-appropriate programs which include infant care, toddler care, preschool, kindergarten, and out-of-school care services.